Friday, February 20, 2009

Wow. I'm 5 again.

Somehow I got into a conversation tonight with someone about the children's movies that were popular that we watched when we were growing up. "The Rescuers" was always one of my favorites. (The one about the two mice [Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor] who rescued the little orphan girl who'd been kidnapped by the mean lady who was making her search for hidden treasure.) We remembered that we had picture books back then to go with those movies, so that it was kind of like re-living the movie when you read the book. And then someone else remembered that there was a record that went with that little book; that's why it felt like you were re-living the movie, b/c you listened to the record while you were looking at the pictures in the book. I got to feeling so nostalgiac about it once we went down that path that I did a google search and came up with this great link.

So now, my question is twofold (btw, you know you've been drinking when you're blogging about something like this, and find yourself using words like "twofold"):

(1) Do you remember those records with the picture books too? and

(2) Seriously, just how sad is it that it's a Friday night and I'm at home listening to the audio from "The Jungle Book" (that site lets you download the records, score!)?

("Look for the bear [haha] necessities, the simple bare necessities, forget about your worries and your strife; I mean the bare necessities, that's why a bear can rest at ease, with just the bare necessities of life.")

4 comments:

meg said...

I have a huge record collection that started when I was young (I "borrowed" my parents and older siblings records). I have Cinderella, Snow White & Jungle Book on vinyl with the picture books. I remember when CD's first came out, they were encased in long cardboard boxes and sometimes, they too had picture books. At least, I have a Beauty & the Beast one..

And, it's not THAT sad...

sadielady said...

Nice. I remember having Cinderella, Jungle Book, The Rescuers, Robin Hood (the one where Robin Hood is a fox), and It's a Small World when I was a kid. I'm sure there were others too. I still have a few old records from when I was a little older; I have Michael Jackson "Thriller" on record, and Air Supply, and Grease, and others I'm too embarrassed to mention (as if Air Supply isn't embarrassing enough). I wish I'd kept more. And yes, I also remember when CD's were new, and came in the long cardboard box. Thanks :)

the default attorney said...

OMG. I listened to the Robin Hood one maybe 1 kabillion times. To this day I remember the voices of Robin and Little John. I think I had a crush on Maid Marian the fox. Is that weird? I also had a crush on the hot female leg warmer-clad cat "Cleo" from the cartoon "Heathcliff."

Hmmm. Maybe I should go get myself checked out for tape worm.

sadielady said...

haha, I wasn't going to admit this, but, I think I had a crush on Robin Hood - yes, that one, the fox. Maybe we're both weird.