Saturday, February 21, 2009

The trip down memory lane continues ...

I'm watching "My Cousin Vinny" on tv tonight. (While I sit here trying to finish up my pear painting.) They just did the scene where Marisa Tomei goes off on Joe Pesci on the porch of the hunting cabin in the woods as he prepares for the murder trial of his cousin the Karate Kid because they said they'd get married when he won his first case and that was 10 years ago and it looks like this case is going down the toilet and her (stomp, stomp, stomp) biological clock is ticking. She's wearing that awesome black w/ flowered print tight jumpsuit that probably nobody could wear and still look good but Marisa Tomei. (I love this scene, btw. One of my favorites, ever.)

And as I was watching, I suddenly picked up on something I'd never noticed before, in all the many many (many many many) many times I've watched this movie over the years: I used to have the very earrings that Marisa Tomei is wearing in this scene. They're big and gaudy, a huge gold circle (so big it almost looks like a medallion)with three strings of beads hanging down from it. I wore those to death in, um, 1989 I think. I can even remember some of the outfits I wore them with back then. That's crazy. It's so funny too; back then, I bet I thought I was the height of fashion and coolness wearing those earrings. Today, watching "My Cousin Vinny," I remember wearing those earrings back then and I think wow, maybe that's why I had so few dates in high school.

1 comment:

sadielady said...

"Oh yeah, you blend."

God I love that movie. Some great lines in that movie. And I think Marisa Tomei said most of them.