Thursday, February 12, 2009

My new addiction:

Antacids.

Dude, my stomach has been killing me all fucking week. It must be stress-related.

I'm trying to get ready for a 2-week trial that starts next week. I'm also trying also to make sure nothing important that's non-trial-related will slip through the cracks while I'm in court, which is kind of hard actually, considering how unfocused and disorganized my brain seems to be these days (not to mention my office). As soon as this trial is over, I'll have to help another attorney in my office with a 3-week trial that starts in the beginning of March. I just received notice that I have to argue a case before the state's appellate court the third week of that March trial, though, so I'll have to step out of one court and go over to another that day for oral arguments. Which I'll have to find some time to prepare for, between now and though. And, oh yeah, somewhere in there I'll have to find time to write an appellate brief in yet another case. My deadline will be mid-March on that one, so I imagine I'll be asking for a continuance of that deadline, or else I'll go bat-shit crazy.

And every time a new thought enters my head that has anything to do with anything even slightly unpleasant, which is quite a lot lately, I get a sharp pain in my stomach. Hence the antacids. Which actually seem to help. I'm carrying them around in my purse now. I wonder how important it really is to pay attention to the maximum daily dosage on those, btw ... I mean it's just calcium, really, right? Can that really be all that bad, to have too much calcium in any given day?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, the joys of being a lawyer ey? Sounds like you have a stomach ulcer - more good news for you. (you need a break!)

I thought my next 6 weeks was crazy, at least the advocate in the majority of my cases keeps getting the cases adjourned for 3 months or gets a cracked trial on the first day!

So i know i'm out of this profession in about 2 months... for good. Why are you still hanging around? Can you honestly say you enjoy this or you wouldn't rather be doing something else?

p.s. thanks for the blogging, helps when trying to procrastinate at work.

sadielady said...

I would love to be doing something else. I just don't know what that something else is. Got any ideas? If so, please share.

thanks :)

sadielady said...

btw, what are you going to be doing in 2 months? changing professions?

Unknown said...

Am I the only person in the world who loves being a lawyer? Or did you guys love it at first, too?