Tuesday, February 24, 2009

...huh?

First of all, my excuse as to why I'm even watching ET in the first place is that I WAS watching the local news, and I just didn't change the channel after it ended. Because otherwise it would be just plain embarrassing to admit that I'm watching ET at all right now, wouldn't it?

Anyway ... I just saw a clip of Nadya Suleman (you know, the crazy baby lady) and her mother on ET, fighting with each other. The mother was saying something about how she should've thought of her other children before she became pregnant with her eight new children. Nadya's retort was: "you can't go back and ring a bell. You can't go back and alter the past." Somehow I think she got that analogy wrong...

Which reminds me, actually, of this great person I know, who is ALWAYS getting analogies wrong. And in such a humorous way. Usually in the course of a serious conversation, too. And he's just so likeable that you don't want to laugh or smile when he garbles some common expression, because you don't want to hurt his feelings, but you just can't help but be amused. I've heard him say some of his mixed-up expressions over and over again, too. He always gets them wrong, but always in the same way. One of my favorites is when he says "you know, I just don't have a bone in that fight." I mean, how can you not love a man who uses that expression in serious situations, and who has such a look of sincerity and compassion on his face when he says it?

If I had heard this great man I know say, (and actually, I could see him saying it), "you can't go back and ring that bell," I would smile nicely and nod in agreement and think to myself "I just love you so much. You're the best." But yet I hear Nadya psychomom say it, and I think, "Jesus, she's an idiot." It's funny how that is.

1 comment:

the default attorney said...

She's lucky she didn't get her bell rung by her mom.

Or something.