Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Who am I, Scarlett O'Fucking Hara? What's going on here?

So tonight I talked on the phone with another eharmony match. Fourth match I've actually spoken with on the phone so far; only the second one I've spoken with so far who lives in the same city I live in. (See, I knew there just weren't enough eligible guys here I'd actually have stuff in common with. I think this proves it.)

Anyway, he was very friendly. And he asked if I wanted to get together, just casually, maybe over a beer after work one evening, to talk more. Sounded perfect to me: casual, alcohol, after work, just to continue the conversation, not so much a date-date but just more talking, only in person and while drinking. Perfect.

The funny thing, that occurred to me about halfway through our conversation though, was how I was talking to him. The way I was talking. As in, my southern accent. Which I don't really have much of; in fact, my mom has always said "my two girls learned to lose their southern accents when they went off to school; I'm so proud of them for not sounding as dumb as I do." (That's my mom. Not a dumb woman, not by far ... but says stuff like that, thinks my sister and I sound smarter than she does b/c she has more of a southern accent than we do, and she's glad for that. I wouldn't mind having her accent one bit though; it's kinda neat, I think.) Anyway, I don't know if my mom has it right in that I lost my accent (or most of it) when I went off to college, whether because it just happened that way or because I went to college with so many people from other parts of the country and so wasn't hearing it as much; or maybe it just started that way, and then when I went to law school, and especially as I've been a practicing attorney, I've just cultivated more of a particular sound, that's not what I grew up with, in my voice, to sound more professional; who knows.

But tonight, on the phone, I was talking to a guy with a real, real Southern voice. And it was the kind of conversation where I was feeling social and feeling like I was trying to be and hoping I was being real friendly and interesting, and interested, or what have you. And so I guess that's why it was that, at some point in the conversation, I heard myself talking and thought to myself: "what the hell is going on here? Are you hearing yourself? Miss Southern Belle, with her accent going full force? Who are you, Scarlett O'Fucking Hara, trying to charm this guy with your thick southern accent, your words spilling from your mouth like honey?" Man, I don't know where that came from.

And then, of course, the other thing though ... when we were trying to figure out when would be a good night to try to get together, and we were counting out a few possibilities, then he mentioned maybe tomorrow, if he can get out of some other plans, "or Thursday," he said, "... of course, that's Valentine's Day." And I guess that's where Scarlett disappeared from my personality, because I immediately and emphatically nixed that idea; "oh, no ... no no no," I said; "I don't think it's ever a good idea for two people to have a first date, or whatever, on Valentine's Day. It's just, I don't know ... bad karma or something. So, no; let's just rule Thursday out right now." He laughed ... it sounded like a very relieved laugh ... and said "oh, good." So, we'll see what happens. It'll be casual, not really date-date-ish, just a beer after work ... and it definitely won't be on Valentine's Day.

By the way, when I told my friend Mike about this conversation earlier tonight, he said "well it sounds promising...but if it doesnt work out, you'll be fine...after all, tomorrow is another day." I mention this because I stuck my tongue out at him in return, and he was all "oh come on, that was funny." Yeah, yeah ... funny boy. :P

4 comments:

JLee said...

hahah..I find myself doing that accent thing from time to time, depending on who I'm talking to. Make sure and let us know how the date went! xo

Fleur de Bee said...

How funny! I kinda agree with JLee on the accent thing. I get both Southern and British accents with my friends..it is hard NOT to drop into their sing-song vocab!

I have a funny story about eHarmony for you...I signed up a friend of mine who is all thumbs online. He wanted to meet "the one". I think he is a player but whatever...I am married and didn't have to date him. I asked him which site he wanted to be on and he choose eHarmony. He seriously though he would get hitched at the end of the month LOL! There was a free month or something. So I signed him up and apparantly he went back in and well being all thumbs or whatever (honestly dont know HOW one can screw it up as bad as he did) he posted his phone number visable on his account or via email or something and also paid for a year or more of the service! LOL He had so many people calling him it was hysterical. He tried to get out of it but I guess has a contract with them. ok so I guess you had to be there but it was so damn hysterical at the time! Oh- and he's still single LOL!

sadielady said...

Hahaha, that is too funny, ballerinagurl. They give you so many new matches daily, or at least every other day, I've had them build up into the hundreds if I didn't take the time to weed through and delete some who were too far away or really didn't seem interesting or whatever ... I can't imagine having that many people you don't know having access to your phone number on a dating site.

Even though they send you a ton of matches, I've found that not very many of them actually live where or near where I live. I mean, I would say that for every 30 new matches I get, only 1 of them is in my city or in small town relatively close to my city. About half of them or a little more than half of them are from the general Southeast area, all the states surrounding my state; and then there's a fairly big chunk of people from just the most random far-away places. It's kind of interesting sometimes to chat a little with someone who lives someplace different, but when there are SO MANY from so far away it starts to make signing up for this thing start to feel like a waste of time.

Jlee, I did end up going out with that guy - we went out after work one evening last week, went to a bar and drank beer and played pool, and then walked over to a sushi place for dinner. It was a cool evening, in terms of what we did ... but he was not a very cool guy. I mean, he was nice, very nice ... but, like, dorky nice, and not in a cute kind of dorky way, (which I have sometimes gone for), if that makes sense. He's a good bit older than I am, divorced, and, I don't know, just seemed a little ... different. Like, when I suggested the bar we went to, he didn't know of it ... even though he has lived in our city almost all of his life, went to college here and has been here ever since, and this bar is really popular with people who went to college here. When I told him I suggested it b/c he had suggested getting a beer after work, and this place has about 50 different beers on tap, he was pleased ... when we got there and he was asking what I wanted, he said he was excited about all they had on tap, b/c he's a bit of a beer aficianado ... then when I ordered a heffeweisse, he said "a what?" I repeated the word for him a couple times; he had never heard of that kind of beer before, ever. Mr. Beer Aficianado my ass. Then when he asked me if there were any good sushi restaurants around, and went on and on about how much he loves sushi, and so we went to this restaurant, he had me do all of the ordering for him ... b/c he didn't know anything about order sushi. He knew it comes in rolls ("yes, it does; there's other ways to get it, too," I told him. "You're kidding?" he said) and he knew he liked the eel roll, but other than that, everything was totally new to him ... everything. Sushi fan, my ass. I mean, I just felt like he was trying to impress me about things he thought I'd like and I'd be impressed by, by saying he really liked those things too and was really into those things too, but then he just didn't have any follow-through on anything. Like, no substance ... even when I tried engaging him in conversation about his work, he's a cfo of a company that provides healthcare services, and I know a little bit about his kind of company just b/c I do healthcare law, so I thought we'd have stuff in common there ... but he knew almost nothing about his company and what they do. Which ok, he did just start this new job recently .. but I talked to him about business in general, and it's like, I felt like I knew a lot more than he did ... even about things that I normally don't feel like I know very much about at all, not being much of a business person, but that I thought he might get into talking about, being the business person that he is. So, yeah ... it wasn't a great date. No attraction, and no substance, is what it came down to.

Oh yeah, plus he got really drunk ... I like to drink plenty, but this guy was DOWNING alcohol all night, a lot more than I was, and by the end he was just kinda sloppy drunk. Sigh. Eharmony, what are you sending me?

Fleur de Bee said...

for that ammt. you could have just stayed in the local mall gawking at the men passing by LOL!

Glad you liked my story. Poor guy, it is hysterical however! hehehehe I promise I WON'T send him your way! he is too much drama, posting numbers I guess gave that away! DOH!