Thursday, January 31, 2008

God? Is that you?

I had the strangest message on my voice mail when I came in to work this morning.

The speaker is an older man, grandfatherly-sounding, with a kind of gravelly voice. He didn't identify himself, and I don't recognize his voice. Here's what he said:

Hey there kid, I hope you have a wonderful day up there today and that you’re making progress on your, uh, on most of your lawsuits and your supreme court thing. Uh, good luck, and have a wonderful day. And my prayers, and all that you do. I’m so proud of you. Love you. Bye.

So was it a wrong number? A message meant for someone else? But the thing is, I DO have a lot of lawsuits going on right now, and more specifically and eerily, I DO have oral argument before the state supreme court next week, which I'm preparing for right now and am really nervous and stressed-out about (my first appellate oral argument ever, and it's before the state's top court to boot ... ugh) .... so it would kind of make sense, this message .... if only it had been left by someone I know. And I checked, and no one else in my office has argument coming up before the supreme court anytime soon; just me.

So what do you think? Wrong number? Meant for someone else? My dad with a severe case of strep throat that somehow totally warped his voice and his typical manner of speaking rendering him all but unrecognizable? Some random citizen out there who knows what I've got on my plate and just wanted to wish me well? My grandfather's ghost speaking to me from beyond the grave (and through voice mail)?

Or maybe I've been downing too much cough and cold medicine. This nasty cold does have me feeling loopy. Just to be sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me, though, I saved the message ... maybe I'll make someone else listen to it later today and try to help me figure it out. Hmm.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

That is definitely weird. I'll keep that in mind to play a trick on someone some day.

What's your supreme court argument about? My career goal is to argue before the Supreme Court some day. Pipe dream, I know.