Wednesday, January 9, 2008

And it was a long time around the circle, getting back to here ...

Tonight I had a first phone call with another eharmony match. This is the second guy I've met on this dating site that I've clicked with enough to actually talk to outside of email.

I had a feeling about this guy when I first saw his profile, I don't know what exactly, just enough of something to make me actually be the one to make the first contact, that was back in early December. We exchanged some basic information, then a few kind of bland emails, each correspondence several days apart. Then sometime last week the emails got more interesting, well I guess because we were getting to know each other better and so then you find more stuff you have in common to talk about and also you start to get a feel for the person's personality, and so then it got to be more of a daily exchange. I had told him what I do for a living at some point, but realized I hadn't asked him questions about his work yet - he had just listed "business professional" on his profile. (Like I said, our first exchanges here and there were kind of bland - kinda like that.) Then he wrote back and told me that he's a lawyer too. ("Surprised? (smiling)", he said after revealing that.) So after another email or two, I told him where I work, and also where I used to work. And about other non-work-related stuff too. Then he mentioned in an email that he'd like to talk; he said he thinks we have a lot in common, some of which might surprise me.

When he said that, about how we had a lot in common some of which might surprise me, I kind of had a feeling he might be about to go here ... and he did: he used to work for the same law firm I used to work for. But not just that: we actually overlapped. Back in 2000/20001, we overlapped; we worked for the same big firm for about a year. He is a few years older than I am, and so he was already there when I started; then he left to go to another firm while I was still there. (And he was a business lawyer, and I was a litigation lawyer, and the business lawyers and the litigation lawyers didn't mingle a whole lot.) And he remembers me; in fact he said that when he saw my picture on the eharmony site he thought to himself "I know her," but he couldn't place me, then it all clicked when I mentioned that I used to work at a big firm doing litigation defense work, so he figured it out sometime last week I guess.

I don't remember him very well, but I do have a kind of vague recollection ... he told me he was the coach of the law firm's softball team, and that he remembers talking to me to try to recruit me onto the team but that I seemed kinda shy about it and he didn't want to make me feel uncomfortable and so he didn't press, and that's when I remembered: yes, I DO know who you are. And the funny thing is, I remember thinking that the coach of the law firm softball team was cute. In fact, that was part of why I got so shy when he came into my office to introduce himself and to try to get me to come out and join the team, is that I just felt like I was back in high school and he was the older cool kid, the popular and friendly good-looking jock guy, and I was the shy quiet girl who didn't know how to talk to that kind of guy. (Also I was just still kind of intimidated by my surroundings; I was a baby lawyer back then, brand new to it all, and working as an associate attorney for one of the most well-known and well-respected litigators in my state, and just in general feeling the need to keep my mouth shut so as not to make a fool of myself and do as much work as possible to keep "the man" happy.)

But times do change. Here it is 2008 now ... years later. He's back in the dating world after a divorce (he was married back when we first met). I'm still in it having never gotten married and having always been a bit on the slow track when it comes to dating I guess. And where I was almost painfully shy back then, too much so to really talk to him back then, I had a blast talking to him tonight. We talked for an hour and a half, and it really didn't feel that long to me. But at the same time, yeah, we talked about a ton of stuff ... including rehashing lots of stuff about the old firm.

Anyway ... It's just kind of funny, how things come back around that way sometimes. Familiar, yet different; you remember where you were, and there's some comfort in that commonality, but you also realize how really different you are now, and it's nice to see that other people are different now too.

I'm expecting to talk to him again tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. He said he'd be happy to meet me whenever I feel comfortable with that, but then he reminded himself that of course we've already met ... just years ago, and under completely different circumstances. Familiar yet different ... you see?

No comments: