Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Well shit, I'm starting to feel like a professional artist!

Since I just decided to take up painting as my new hobby just this year, I had to buy a whole bunch of art supplies all at once. I couldn't get everything I wanted right away, because that shit starts to add up - - paints are expensive, and so are brushes, nevermind the other extra things there are out there - - so I'd been making do with an old backpack to tote my supplies back and forth to class. And while I did get an easel for home, it was a cheap one, and it's a big one that stands on the floor; so big that actually my small pear painting couldn't sit in the middle of the easel, b/c it would fall backwards through the hole. I had it propped up against just one of the legs of the tripod whenever I was working on it. Which was all fine, no problem.

But for my birthday, my boss and my paralegal went in together and gave me a fantastic gift: an art supply box, with adjustable trays and compartments to hold a bunch of different stuff, and a table-top easel, which is also adjustable for small and large canvases. Both are made of beech wood, and both are nice. And both gifts took me completely by surprise; I had actually wanted both of those things, because I'd seen other people in my art class with variations of those things that I coveted, but I had not mentioned either one to either my boss or my paralegal. They just guessed at what they thought might make a good but returnable if I already had it gift relevant to my new hobby, and they couldn't have picked two better items, as far as I'm concerned.

I feel like a kid with a new toy on her birthday. I've already organized all my paints and shit in my new wooden box, and set up my tabletop easel too. Now I can REALLY pretend to be an artist!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man- that is really cool that your boss and paralegal care enough about you to get you something meaningful-so sweet (all i am thinking about at the moment is how every one from secretaries to the head guy is so political.. . and all fake). so that is awesome. and oh- love your blog, glad you are back:)

bt said...

Ditto what the above anonymous said. I hope it becomes something you really enjoy. I had an Aunt that painted. She was limited somewhat by severe arthritis (worst arthritis I have ever seen), but she gave a painting to my sister when she was little which my sister always treasured. It was a large picture, maybe 3 feet by 3 feet, of a boat in a harbor. And one of her other paintings hangs in my brother's dining room today. It is of clam diggers at the seashore, and my Mom used the clam diggers to teach her little 3 year old grand kid to count! (one clam digger, two clam diggers...).

Keep studying and I hope you do well.

sadielady said...

thank you both. I just bought some new art supplies too, with some birthday money. I'm totally getting a little studio set up at home!