Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's a sad world.

Flipping through channels on the television, I came across a program on little girls who enter beauty pageants, and their fucked up freaked out moms who drag them all over creation and dress them up like teenage sluts to compete for tiaras and sashes.

One little girl's aunt was criticizing her sister, the girl's mom, for letting the girl - who is all of seven years old - shave her legs (the tan sprays on better if the legs are smooth, the mom says) and get highlights in her hair (what can I say, she wants them, the mom says). The aunt thinks the girl's just too young to be doing all that. I gotta go with the aunt on this one.

Then another mom was shown rolling her 5-year-old daughter's hair in curlers. As she curled her daughter's hair, the mom spoke to the camera. She said: "Part of pageants that I don't like is all the fakeness. I don't really agree with tanning, or anything like that."

Hmm, maybe this mom still has a few brain cells left in her head, I was thinking to myself. But then she continued:

"We do use the fake eyelashes and the hair extensions, but that's it." - - What?

Sigh. What the fuck is wrong with people.

2 comments:

the default attorney said...

I think I saw a trailer for this. It's on TLC, right?

Yeah, gross. I'm about as socially liberal as they come, but for the love of god, these things should be outlawed. I mean if we can't agree on "no beauty pageants until at least the age of 18" I don't know what we can agree on.

I mean, as a parent....ugh, god. Yeah, don't get it.

sadielady said...

Yeah, I don't know how to draw the lines between the various kinds of beauty pageants that are out there - I'm sure some are just fine, I mean I grew up watching the Miss America and Miss USA pageants on tv and I always liked those; but some of these little kids' pageants? The way they make them up to look like adult women? It gives me the creeps.