Monday, March 16, 2009

The subconscious at work

I'm reading a legal brief written by a real asshole of a lawyer, and doing some legal research for my own brief in response. As I work, I can't help but think about what a slimy little jerkwad this guy is.

I've been making myself notes on a sticky pad as I go, sticking them to cases that I print and tagging pages of his brief with notes here and there. Mostly my sticky notes say things like "expert testimony," "due process," "no prejudicial error," things like that. But one of my sticky notes says "Aargh ... what a sneaky little weasel. Slimeball."

I wrote that sticky note about an hour or so ago, when I was feeling particularly perturbed by one of the arguments that this guy made in his brief, and a case that he cited, and the implication that he was clearly trying to make by the way he said what he said. Taking a dig at me and my client that was really, completely unnecessary - that's essentially what he was doing.

Then I looked back down at my sticky note just now, and noticed that I had drawn a little doodle around the word "Slimeball" - it looks like I started to draw a box around it and then ended up going with more of a circle thing. I think the reason I probably ended up making a circle-thing after starting off making a box-thing around the word was b/c the S was too big to fit in the box, so I just tried to loop it on in there. But the funny thing is, I just noticed that it actually looks kind of like I drew a dick around the word "Slimeball."



The subconscious at work, I guess. He really is a little prick.

No comments: