Friday, December 21, 2007

The Smack-Down Before Christmas

Scene: The Friday morning before Christmas. One of only a handful of attorneys in the office. Of the attorneys in the office, the only one with a seriously enormous shitload of work that must be done today, the last day before the holdidays.

Mood: Fairly stressed out, hyped up on caffeine, trying to focus on work and short on temper for those who attempt to interrupt.

Action: Receive an email from an attorney (an incredibly obnoxious and aggressive one, whom I do not care for at all). Attorney is writing to the judge's law clerk, copying all other attorneys on the case, with a proposed order for the judge to sign regarding a motion hearing to compel document production held this past Tuesday. Attorney makes a note that since he was the only one who was instructed to compose the proposed order, other attorneys should not be permitted to submit any proposed changes to his draft.

Get annoyed.

Send a reply email to all stating that based upon my notes from the hearing, the draft wording at the end of the order is inaccurate; state in email what my notes reflect was orally ordered by the judge.

Receive email in reply from other attorney, stating "Sadie is mistaken or was taking selective notes." Email basically says the Judge had ordered we provide a document to attorney (which I had already stated we don't have in our possession, a document reflecting information he thinks we should have somewhere; we already provided lots of other documents, all that we do have, responsive to his request), detailing how a certain decision was made by a client of mine. Suggests if I don't know how my client made the decision, maybe I should go back to the client, we should all get more information, and then we should make a new, informed decision.

Feel blood pressure rising.

Reply to all again. Tell them I believe it's inappropriate for the attorney to suggest the decision by my client was uninformed when he so far has failed to depose my client to ask my client how and why the decision was made. Say that if he cannot glean the rationale by reviewing the documentation we have already provided then perhaps he should at least notice a deposition and have my client explain the documents to him, which she is certainly in a position to be able to do, before asking the judge to take the drastic step of remand.

Receive reply from from third attorney who has been cc'd on this chain, chiming in that her notes from the hearing are in agreement with what I stated in my earlier email. Phone rings as I'm reading it; it's the third attorney. Vent frustrations with her over what an idiot the other attorney is. She tells me she's glad I wrote that last email pointing out this guy has not taken a single deposition yet; judge might wonder now why the guy is whining about not having enough facts to go on to bring his case when he's been sitting on his pretty little ass not doing any real work so far, other than bothering the rest of us with a bunch of complaining emails and motions to compel the very little discovery (a few requests to produce documents; no interrogatories yet even) that he's sent so far.

Get back to work.

Warning to all: Don't fuck with me. I'm not in the mood for it.

No comments: