Monday, December 10, 2007

More disharmony

I've had a few matches so far who seem really set on requiring that the person they date is religious and attends church or whatever. Living in the South, I guess you expect you run into that, so that didn't really surprise me. But even though I do live in the South, I was still somewhat taken aback by Joseph and his up-front revelation of his personal dealbreaker.

In his very first exchange of questions with me, he asked me if I date outside of my race. I told him the truth - that I never have, but that I don't have anything against it. Since Joseph describes himself as Caucasian, same as me, I was curious about that question, so when it was my turn to ask I sent him the same question in return - and said that I was curious he'd asked it (no one else has, and it's not listed as one of the "standard" questions that you can choose to ask, he created it on his own), so I was asking it back.

I just got his answer. "No I don't, and I do not approve of it either."

So much for Joseph. Not that interracial dating would be an issue that would come up between us, so much as that when you bring something like that up right off the bat and lay it down, well, I'm guessing you're not the kind of person I want to be with.

No comments: