Sunday, December 9, 2007

Disharmony

So I signed up with eharmony recently. Go ahead, feel free to make fun. I figured, I'm not dating anyone, I haven't for awhile, and I don't really meet new people much, so what's the harm. Yeah. I thought I'd share a few of my not-so-successful initial matches with you.

James: Very shortly into the guided communication stage, as in after just a couple brief exchanges of basic information, I made a mental note to myself - "this guy seems kinda creepy." Something about his picture and some of the things in his personal statements, although nothing I could put my finger on; just a gut feeling. Then I got his very first real email message, and it was ok, really short, nothing special or weird really. Until 2 hours later, when I had not yet responded to it but was still thinking about whether I even wanted to respond to it, I got another email message from him, this one saying "Hi Sadie. Just wanted to make sure you got my last email. James." I closed the match. Figured gut instinct confirmed, go ahead and cut him off. A few hours later, I got a message that he'd responded to the email eharmony sent him saying I'd closed the match. His final message said "I really thought we had a connection, please reconsider." Gut instinct double confirmed.

Matt: After initial exchange of basic information, I made a mental note to myself - "seems kinda creepy." Again, nothing I could pinpoint really. On the second exchange of basic information, in answer to the eharmony standard question of "do you consider yourself physically affectionate when in a relationship," he wrote the following answer: "I love to give and receive physical affection- meowww:-)". I closed the match.

Allen: After an initial exchange of basic information, I made a mental note to myself - "seems kinda ok except I'm thinking we might not be a good match because he indicated he only drinks a few times a year and he goes to church every week." I figured that was something to keep in mind but not a reason to immediately terminate. After the next round of communication, in answer to the eharmony standard question of "who has been the most influential person in your life," he answered "Pope John Paul II because he valued human life and God's love for humankind." He also said that one of his "must haves" in his match is that he meet someone who attends worship service regulary. I closed the match.

Stephen: His basic information said he is 5 feet 3 inches tall, and his picture looked like that of a midget. I closed the match immediately.

Doug: Another one where the basic information indicated he was religious and that was important to him plus he rarely drinks, and so again I made a mental note to myself - "seems ok, but afraid we might not be a good match." Then I got his next round of information, and saw that in response to the basic question of what is the last book you read, he answered "the Left Behind series," and said you can learn a lot from it. I didn't know what that was, so I googled it, and I found this web site. I closed the match.

I'm not very optimistic. On the upside though, I may have tapped into the motherload of blogging material.

2 comments:

JLee said...

You should have told me you were back!! Good luck with the online dating :)

Legal Bachelor said...

Here's the deal...you shouldn't have done eHarmony. It's for religious people, so fuck that. Do match.com, or OKCupid!, or something like that. You'll find fewer religiosos that way.