Monday, June 8, 2009

oh, and one more glorious note on the breast cancer scare doctor appointment of this morning,

when I arrived at the doctor's office, there were 3 people present: one woman by herself, and another woman sitting next to a man, presumably her husband, holding his hand. And I totally recognized the man. A client.

Me: Oh, hi.
Him: Hi. How are you?
Me: Well, hehe, (looking around and gesturing), not great.
Him: At least it's a day out of the office, right?
His wife, looking at me and smiling sympathetically: I think we'd rather be in the office.
Me: I know I would.

She gets called back first. She tells him there's a place back there where he can wait, so he follows.

I get called back. I'm directed to the changing room, where I'm supposed to change out of my top and into a smock top that is totally open in front, secured by only a snap. And oh boy oh boy, that interior waiting area for spouses and friends is right outside the dressing room. And there's my client.

So I go into the dressing room, get half undressed, pull on the smock. Look at myself in the mirror and see how it totally hangs open. Know I have to open the door now and walk to the ultrasound room. Know my male client is fucking sitting right there in a chair, in that tiny little area, facing the door to the dressing room.

Pull the smock as closed as I can, open the door, and share the most possibly embarrassing chagrined expression with my older male client, as I walk out braless underneath a thin smock and try to keep from flashing him.

Oy. Not looking forward to the next time I have to defend him in a deposition or meet with him to discuss a legal issue. Somehow I think the memory of me braless in a smock that's held together by a single snap in front confronting him in the breast center interior waiting room is going to make me feel somewhat less professional and secure next time I have to act as his lawyer.

No comments: