Thursday, January 22, 2009

Well if it helps my pool game, it should improve my art too ...

Tonight I went to my first art class - an acrylic painting workshop. I've been wanting to learn how to paint for a long time, and I am so excited now that I found this particular class. The teacher seems cool, the other people in the class are nice; it's not as intimidating as I was afraid it would be, and with only seven students in the class I will be getting lots of one-on-one attention from the instructor. Tonight I painted a still life: three pears. They don't look very realistic yet, but hey, I actually put paint on canvas, played around with mixing colors together, and came out with something that at least looks interesting, even if it's not very good.

The best part, for me, though, is that I am now totally looking forward to my Thursday nights from now on. From six to nine every Thursday evening for the next couple months, I'll be going to this cool art gallery in a hip part of town, heading upstairs to the working area, setting up all my paints and brushes, and pretending like I'm an artist at work ... and drinking while I paint. Yep, that's right; the instructor told us that we are welcome to bring whatever we want to drink to class with us, including wine, which she says some of her students do regularly in her other classes. Now I KNOW I'm going to love painting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you maintain your alcoholic ways.

Was worried you might get a dangerous amount of blood in your alcohol system!

Good blogging - just need more of it!(how else am i supposed to get through work?)

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad to see you are still here ( since I gave it up but couldn't resist a good read on a BORING ASS afternoon here in ATL).

Drinking and painting.... where is this class?