Wednesday, December 9, 2009

fun stuff

Went on a 9 pm grocery store run to satisfy the cats' craving for canned vs. dry food. And pick up something I can eat for breakfast in the morning too; I'm not a complete slave to the cats. Really. Anyway, I came back home, got in just fine, but as I was locking the deadbolt on the door from the inside - (btw, can I just say right now how much I hate deadbolts that have to use a key from the inside as well as the outside in order to open? what if you're in a hurry to get out and can't find your keys? you're screwed, huh?) - the fucking key broke off in the fucking lock. My only fucking house key. Fuck.

On the bright side, this is one of those times when I'm reminded of one of the perks of renting instead of owning (a conversation I've had many times over the past years, btw, pro-con/rent-own): my landlord lives in my neighborhood, and I called him up and then ran over to his house to pick up an extra key. Of course, since both of the doors to my house have deadbolt locks that were locked at the time and that you have to have a key to open, even from the inside, and since I was inside at the time, and since my only house key that I had on me had just broken off in one of the locks, I couldn't unlock a door to get out. So I had to open a window and fucking climb out of it, like some sketchy burglar chick who just robbed a house and is trying to make a getaway. I'm sure that looked lovely to any neighbors who might have happened to catch that action. (Although I didn't see anyone, so hopefully no one saw me. Yeah, I like to use that same philosophy my 5 year old nephew uses: if I can't see you, you can't see me.)

Oh, and btw, there's also another perk to renting: the landlord is going to deal with getting a locksmith over tomorrow to deal with the still broken-off key in the problematic deadbolt lock. So that's something I don't have to deal with myself, at least.

Of course, I have learned one lesson in all of this: I really should work on my whole procrastination thing. Because I used to have an extra key to my house, only I lost it a couple years ago, and ever since I have been meaning to not only get an extra key made again to hide somewhere in case of an I'm-outside-I-need-to-get-in-don't-have-keys emergency, but also get an extra key made to keep inside the house somewhere, preferably close to one (or maybe both, shoot) of the doors, in case of an I'm-inside-I-need-to-get-out-can't-find-keys emergency. Yeah, that's been on my "to do" list, in like the top 10 things on the list, for about 2 years now. So totally going to actually do it now, though.

Yee-haw, what a fun night.

No comments: