Tuesday, November 13, 2007

As 2 weeks stretches into 2 months ...

After spending years in my cubbyhole of an office, the one my bosses told me was the newbie lawyer office unfortunately but one no new lawyer has had to suffer in for very long, I am finally getting a bigger office at work. Not a different office though. Rather, they're knocking down walls and expanding the space of my existing office.

A lot of work to do just for little ol' me. But I figure the big boss man decided he had to do something of this magnitude for me in terms of office space, after he refused my request 2 years ago for an office that had been sitting empty for 4 months because there's a waiting list for office space based on seniority/when you asked for a new office ... only to then, 9 months ago, give a brand new (but older than me) hire a much larger office which he did not first offer to me, despite the whole seniority/when you asked for a new office policy. Yeah, he owes it to me.

So they began construction work on the new space around the beginning of October. "Two week job," they told me. The next week, "yeah, it's gonna be another two weeks," they said. The following week, "well, things have gone kinda fast so far because we were knocking things down and putting up big new things, but now we're at the finessing stage, where the work goes slower so it's gonna take longer. Probably looking at another two weeks." That was two weeks ago. And they're so far from finished, judging by the looks of things.

Well I'm just happy to be getting the bigger space. And my temporary digs aren't bad.

What would really be funny, though, would be if I actually get a positive reply to one of the new jobs I've been applying for in the meantime. Because that would epitomize the role of timing in my life.

"Sadie, I know we said it would only take 2 weeks, but finally your new office is finished! Aren't you excited?" "Yes, that's awesome! By the way, I quit."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you're back!

E. P. said...

It's great that you're finally getting an upgrade on your (workspace) digs.

I'm so glad to see that your blog is back. I thought for a moment that you no longer have time to blog because you are in brand spankin-new hot and steamy love affair... wait, I'm totally projecting because that's what I want for myself...

Welcome back!