Monday, November 24, 2008

Unbelievable.

Or should I say, of course?

It seems you shouldn't be able to say both about the same thing, right? But then, I feel like I live in a world of oxymorons. And regular morons, too.

I think I must be depressed. I've been sleeping a lot lately. Like, a LOT. I didn't work this past Friday; instead of taking advantage of having a day off, though, I pretty much slept my day away. Took about a 4 hour nap in the middle of the day. Even though I'd gone to bed early the night before ... and I was STILL able to go to bed early Friday night.

So maybe you could write that off as a fluke, right? I just really, really needed the rest. Except that I napped TWICE on Saturday. First I just woke up early, for a Saturday, like 6 or so; so I had cereal for breakfast, watched a little tv, and by 9 I was asleep again, on the sofa, tv going and book in hand (and cats perched on hip and snuggled behind bent knee). Slept about 2 hours. Woke up, tried to shake off the sleep and do some house chores for a few hours ... then sat down to "read" again, and within 5 minutes I was asleep. For a couple more hours.

So by Saturday night I should totally be done with all this sleeping stuff, right? Yeah ... I went to bed about 9:30 Saturday night. And slept for 10 hours.

So Sunday. I've now wasted two days pretty much just sleeping, right? I should be done. But no ... I nap again. Only this time, I at least only nap for ONE hour. But did I really accomplish much of anything with the rest of my day? No, not really; I still felt totally lazy, and all I could seem to muster up the energy to do was to start a new book.

This book though I actually ended up reading all in one day. It was pretty good, that book. But then again, it's hard to say how much of it was that it was a good book, and how much of it was that I am pretty boring these days. I seem to do nothing much more than sleep and read; no energy, desire, motivation, etc., to do anything else.

But anyway, the point is, given how the past few days have gone, I should have no trouble sleeping tonight. I mean, I must be fucking depressed or something, to be sleeping as much as I've been sleeping the past few days. I didn't seem to have trouble napping, or sleeping 10 hours even after a long nap, two days in a row ... so why should today be any different?

Except that of course today is fucking Sunday, which means I go back to work tomorrow, and for some reason, my body rejects the idea of getting enough sleep the night before a day of actual work. Got a 3-day weekend to enjoy? Great, I'll fucking sleep right through it, rather than do anything interesting. But need to rest through a night so I can get up and go to work like a normal person the next day, not a monster who didn't get enough sleep and is a total grouch and can hardly function? Well you can guaran-fucking-tee that means I won't sleep at all that night ... or at least, I won't fall asleep until at least two hours before my alarm is set to go off; just enough time to get into some deep REM shit before I get jerked out of it and have to go off and be a lawyer for 9 hours on 2 hours of shitty sleep.

What the fuck is up with that?

1 comment:

JLee said...

Sounds like you totally messed up your sleep cycle. I sometimes get that way when the weather first changes and gets cooler. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! xo