Monday, August 11, 2008

Who, me? Getouttahere.

One of the judges at the court I most often practice before has accepted a new position and will soon be leaving the bench.

Today I received a phone call from an attorney at another law firm who often represents clients in cases I'm involved in - sometimes on my side, sometimes on the other side. He asked me if I've considered running for the about-to-be-empty seat on this court. Ha, no, I said. But he was serious; and then he spent about 5 minutes trying to talk me into it, telling me reasons why he thinks I should apply for it.

Strangely, he's the second attorney to ask me that question; last week I was in deposition, and another attorney, with another firm, on the other side of another case, asked me the same thing; asked me if I had thought about running for a position on this particular court - - like it was a totally normal idea. Like I'd make a good judge.

What's weirder, that two different attorneys have asked me the same question in the past week, since we've found out this position will soon be open? Or that my automatic response to someone even suggesting that I'd make a good judge is to say "what the fuck man? Are you serious? Getouttahere." Either they have misplaced confidence in me, or I have very low confidence in myself.

I'm thinking it's both, actually.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, you should absolutely do it. Worst case scenario is that you lose but nonetheless raise your profile in a positive way and thereby make it easier to look for and get a good job in another place, which you've been wanting to do.

So fucking do it, dude! Come on, at least seriously consider it. I know someone who ran for our state supreme court, and she fucking loved the process. And she was way better and smarter than the person who won. The truth is that we need smart, thoughtful people on the bench, and you're both things.

Do it!

the default attorney said...

Wow, speaks volumes as to your competency if an attorney who is often your opposing counsel wants you on the bench.

Why not?

sadielady said...

Thank you both ... who knows, maybe one day?